Mission Dates

December 10, 2008 - December 10, 2010

August 29, 2010 - President Bishop's Letter

Dear Elders and Sisters,


This week was a time of overwhelming emotion for me. Sister Bishop and I attended the Youth Conference and then the Zhong Xin Stake conference. The youth conference was wonderful. There were more than 400 youth in attendance. The event was planned and lead entirely by Chinese Leaders. A group of missionaries helped with a missionary night. The missionaries helped each of the youth record their testimony in a copy of the Book of Mormon. The youth then promised to share the Book of Mormon with a non-member friend. These youth were excited to share the gospel with others. Elder Bednar said the best way to prepare for a mission is to become a missionary. Our missionaries helped each of the youth become a missionary. I am grateful to all who participated. Each missionary showed initiative as they worked with their group to help them feel the spirit and become missionaries. This is the future of Taiwan. In fact, it may well be the future of the church in all of Asia.

When I arrived in Taiwan there was one branch in the area which is now Zhong Xin Stake. That was a Branch in Zhang Hua. After I arrived, missionaries were sent to Nan Tou and Dou Liu. The first Sacrament meeting in Dou Liu had 4 elders and 2 member sisters who had joined the Church in Tai Zhong but who lived in Dou Liu. Today the beautiful Stake Center in Yuan Lin was full and overflowing. There were 3 choirs, a primary, a youth, and an adult choir. The stake President, President Chen, went around and greeted everyone by name. During the Sunday Morning session many new brethren were sustained to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood. I lost count but I think there were 12! After the Sunday Morning session, a new member meeting was held. This meeting also filled the chapel. I am so moved by the growth of the church in this area. I am so grateful to each of you for helping to build and establish the church.

There is much to do. We need to build this area to be strong enough to form an additional stake. We need to baptize to build these wards and branches. In the new member meeting, many, perhaps most of the new converts were the only members in their families. We need to work with them to teach and baptize their families. Work closely with all part member families so they will trust you to help teach those they love. We need to help rescue the many members who are not currently active. We need to encourage temple attendance as a goal to investigators and all members, new and old.

I feel so blessed to see the progress the Church has made during the last 40 years. With the way you work, the way you build the wards and branches, imagine what the next 40 years will bring!

Faithfully your brother,

President Bishop

No comments: