Dear Elders and Sisters,
I would like to thank you for all of your hard work. Yesterday I went out working with the assistants. The day was hot, but raining. The rain gear we used made me even hotter. I was sweating so much that I am not sure I would have been any dryer had I not worn it. We had a goal of 15 new investigators. We met the goal, but I only got 2 of the referrals. I have much to learn about how to get the information before the light changes. We taught one new investigator, one returning investigator, and 2 less active members. I loved working with Elder Taylor and Elder Mix. These missionaries know what they are here to do. They are excellent planners and excellent teachers. People committed to repent, to read, to attend church, to be baptized, and to live their covenants. When I returned home to the mission home, my new white shirt was black from the soot and borrowed rain gear. I understand how hard you work each day to bring this gospel to the people of Taiwan.
Thank you for working in the rain and the heat every day and every night laboring for our Savior to fulfill His purpose and your purpose of building the Lord’s Kingdom here in Taiwan.
I want to turn to the subject of your letters and what I would like in your letters, as well as what kind of reply you can expect from me. I read every one of your weekly letters, including those in Chinese which I use a computer program to help translate. My written Chinese is getting better, but is not good enough to read most of the letters.
I would like you to focus on positive experiences and feelings such as the following: Recent converts, strengthening less active members, member referrals, things you learned from personal or companion study, something your companion did to serve you, something you learned from your companion, revelation you received, tender mercies of the Lord to you or your family and miracles you have seen in your life. I also expect in your letters a general statement of how you are doing. Happy, grateful, worried about family, discouraged, tired, sick, or what ever. If you are having problems, please let me know. Having said that, remember that dwelling on problems may make them worse. Focus on the positives in your missionary experience, but at the same time, be honest. Focusing on the blessings in your life will enhance a grateful heart and help you to find joy in your life.
I love reading your letters. I share in the joys and successes you are having in your mission. I am grateful for the trust you show in sharing your feelings with me. Because I have over 160 letters to read I cannot write long personal notes on each letter. I will answer brief questions, and I will call you if it sounds like we should talk. Most weeks I will not give you personal written response to your letters.
Every day I express gratitude for you, the worthy, obedient, diligent representatives of the Lord. I am grateful to be able to serve with you here in Taiwan.
Faithfully, your brother
President Clark T. Bishop




No comments:
Post a Comment